Fall, Winter, and Spring
This page contains information about participating in an athletics team.
Please note: All athletes must have a physical on file with the school nurse that is no more than 12 months old prior to the first day of the season. Athletes will not be permitted to participate until cleared by the Athletic Office.
|Fall||Boys Varsity Soccer|
Boys JV Soccer
Boys Modified Soccer
|Girls Varsity Soccer|
Girls JV Soccer
Girls Modified Soccer
|Girls Varsity Tennis|
Girls JV Tennis
Girls Modified Tennis
|Girls Varsity Volleyball|
|Winter||Boys Varsity Basketball|
Boys JV Basketball
Boys Modified Basketball
|Girls Varsity Basketball|
Girls JV Basketball
Girls Modified Basketball
|Spring||Boys Varsity Baseball|
Boys JV Baseball
Boys Modified Baseball
|Boys Varsity Tennis|
Boys JV Tennis
Boys Modified Tennis
|Girls Varsity Softball|
Girls Modified Softball
|Varsity Track & Field|
Being a member of a Schechter Westchester athletics team is a privilege. Students are expected to behave with respect and concern for the rights, safety, and welfare of all individuals while participating in the athletics program.
A student must abide by the rules of the athletic department regarding practice and training, as well as the specific requirements the coach sets for the sport in which he/she is participating. These rules are set up to insure an athlete’s safe and efficient participation in his/her sport.
Coaches may establish additional rules and regulations with the approval of the athletic director for their respective sports. These rules will be given to all team members and will be administered by the coach. The following rules apply to all sports:
- An athlete will attend all practices and contests. If he/she is injured or sick, he/she should notify the coach or athletic director. There are few reasons for missing a practice; dental appointments or routine doctor’s appointments should be scheduled around practice sessions.
- Family vacations that interfere with organized practice and/or games should be discussed with the coach. Athletes and parents should understand that missed practices may affect the playing time of the athlete.
- To practice and compete in an athletic contest, an athlete must be at school from 11:00 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. (half a school day). Any special considerations must be cleared with the athletic director 24 hours in advance.
- Equipment and uniforms are on a loan basis and are to be worn only when authorized by the coach. Wearing a team sweat top on the day of a game would be an example of such an authorized use. Uniforms are not to be worn in physical education classes or around the school. Athletes are financially responsible for uniforms and equipment issued to them beyond normal wear and tear.
- Athletes must abide by all school rules and regulations. Any behavior or academic concerns will affect athletics. Students must carry a minimum of a C average in all classes prior to and during a sports season. An athlete may be placed on probation or suspended from the team for any academic or behavioral concerns as deemed necessary by the school administration.
- Athletes may not possess or use alcohol, tobacco, or any other illegal or non-prescribed drug. Athletes caught using any of these substances at any time during the season, in or out of school, will be suspended from the team for a specific number of days to be determined by the principal and athletic director.
- An athlete should be neatly and cleanly attired while practicing, competing in a game, or traveling with a team.
- An athlete will act according to the tradition of good sportsmanship. An athlete will not swear or direct derogatory comments at a teammate, opponent, official, coach, or spectator. Any double technical, red card or similar infraction will minimally result in an ejection from that game and the following game. The coaches and athletic director will determine consequences.
- Athletes are required to travel to and from contests via transportation provided by the school. Any exceptions to the rule must be cleared through the athletic director 24 hours in advance.
- All modified athletes must attend his/her regularly scheduled PE class on the day of the game.
- Ninth-grade athletes who play on a JV/Varsity team will have five P.E. “opt-outs.” An athlete must report to P.E. at the beginning of the class to let his or her teacher know that he or she will be using an "opt-out." JV and varsity athletes in grades 10-12 will be exempt from P.E. for the season. Once the season is over, the athlete must return to their P.E. class.
- Tryouts for some teams may be necessary due to facility concerns. The entire coaching staff will assist in evaluating participants. Should an athlete not be selected for a team, an attempt will be made to offer an alternative sports program.
- Practices missed by athletes: If an athlete misses a practice for any reason other than for religious or academic tutoring, which must be cleared by the coach in advance, the athlete will sit out for half of the next game scheduled. If a student/athlete misses a game for any reason other than sickness that day, the athlete must sit the next game as well.
- Out of season practices: When a student is participating within season, the athlete is only permitted to participate on an off-season Schechter Westchester team with verbal permission from the in-season coach. For example, a boy playing varsity basketball in January must have his basketball coach’s permission to practice with the varsity baseball team on a Sunday afternoon.
|Season ||Sport||First Practice||Time|
|Fall||JV/Varsity Sports||August 22, 2016||9:00 a.m. - noon|
|Modified Sports||September 8, 2016||3:40 - 5:00 p.m.|
|Winter||Varsity/JV Sports||November 14, 2016||4:30 - 6:00 p.m|
|Modified Sports||November 29, 2016||3:40 - 5:00 p.m.|
|Spring||Varsity/JV Sports||March 13, 2017||4:30 - 6:00 p.m.|
|Modified Sports||March 27, 2017||3:40 - 5:00 p.m.|
|Home Games||4:30 - 6:00 p.m||Boys/Girls JV Basketball games begin at 6:00 p.m.|
|Away Games||Depart Schechter Westchester at 3:50 p.m.|
|Return to Schechter Westchester at approximately 6:30 p.m.|
|JV/Varsity Practice||4:30 - 6:15 p.m., Monday through Thursday and Sunday||Sunday practice is optional |
|Modified Practice||3:40 - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday|
We do encourage you to communicate with your child’s coach with appropriate concerns. These concerns may include:
- The well-being of your child physically and emotionally
- Suggestions to improve your child’s athletic performance
- Special circumstances your child’s coach should be aware of
They may not include:
- Playing time
- Team strategy
- Other student athletes
Please do not approach a coach during games or practices with concerns. E-mail the coaches directly. If necessary, a conference may be required.
If you wish to pick up your child after a game you must arrive on time. A child will never be left at an away game to wait for a parent; he or she must return on the bus with the team.
Athletes will not be allowed to leave with another family without written permission from their parent. If you would like your child to go home with another child from an away game, you must give a signed note to the coach or athletic office prior to the game or have indicated permission within the online sports sign-up form.
After the rosters are finalized, the athletic team fee(s) will be deducted from your FACTS account in full. The team fees are as follows:
You will receive an email from the business office confirming the deduction date.
If a family decides that the child will not proceed with team enrollment, a parent must send an email giving notice of withdrawal to the athletic department. However, once the team roster* is finalized, no refunds of athletic fees will be made. There will be no refunds for any reason, including student absences, school closing, snow days, etc.
*Any athletic fee paid for an athlete not selected for a team will be refunded.